Space Cowboy KitchenWhere lazy chefs get together to discuss culinary theory
From Solid Cat: Gay Camels
DELI REVIEW: Greenblatt's
Located on Sunset in West Hollywood, it's a full-service deli, a restaurant, and a fine wine shop all in one. Find them at www.greenblattsdeli.com
Chicken Noodle Soup: D-mo: Too much celery. Val: The noodles were lackluster.
Brisket with Noodle: Val: This was the best au jus I've ever had.
Pastrami on Rye: D-mo: The pastrami was high quality, no surprise there, but the double-baked rye was the star of the sandwich. It was the best rye bread I've ever had. Soft and fluffy, but not mushy when holding up that meat. The bread make the sammy 10 times better.
Lemon cake: Val: I'm not a big fan of lemon cakes, but I wanted more of this. If you have an idea of the perfect lemon desert, the flavor here might be it.
Overall, a very favorable meal, and someone is doing the Lord's work in the bakery with their bread and sweets.
Review Verdict: (on a scale of 1-4 bagels)
3 1/2 BAGELS
From Solid Cat: Fat Americans
ICE CREAM REVIEW: Milk
The store is called Milk. Two locations. Find them at www.themilkshop.com
Nutella ice cream: Val - "Holy crap, it was great." Better than real Nutella. Smooth and creamy.
Red Velvet ice cream: Chocolatey with little bits of cake in it. Better than a lot of red velvet cake I've had.
Mint ice cream (no chips): Very mild for mint, but very good.
Vanilla Bean ice cream: Very Vanilla, very beany.
Coconut ice cream: Surprisingly good. Imagine a creamy coconut flavor. Wasn't overly coconutty, but subtle and good.
Ooey Gooey Cookie: Almost too chocolatey. It was slightly orgasmic. Was very gooey when warmed.
Review Verdict: (on a scale of 1-4 scoops)
a perfect 4 SCOOPS
From Solid Cat: Not Impressed
Easy Thai Cucumber Salad
A light and refreshing salad, with a spicy kick.
Ingredients for Dressing
1. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then repeat with each half until you have a number of long strips. Now slice the other way to create bite-size rectangular chunks. Place in a salad bowl.
2. Add the shallot, green onion, chili/red pepper, and cilantro to the salad bowl (keep back a little extra coriander for a garnish).
3. Combine the dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve sugar. Taste-test it for sweet-sour balance, adding more sugar if it's too sour for your taste. Tip: Note that the dressing will taste quite salty and pungent now, but will be perfect once combined with the salad. Pour dressing over the salad and toss well.
4. To serve, top with chopped peanuts, plus extra coriander. If desired, garnish with a slice of lime. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
From Solid Cat: Tickle Cock Bridge
CANDY REVIEW: Twix Gingerbread
You're favorite Twix candy bar... with gingerbread flavor.
I wish it was more gingery. It's not bad at all, but I wish they had used a gingerbread cookie as opposed to gingerbread-flavored caramel.
Yes, I wish it was more gingery too. While I wasn't expecting a ginger snap covered in caramel and chocolate, I was hoping for something between that, and what we actually got. It's still a very serviceable holiday treat.
Review Verdict: (on a scale of 1-4 Hershey Kisses)
2 1/2 KISSES
From Solid Cat: Things That Creep Val Out
Apple Lattice Pie, Baked in an Apple
Apple, apple, and more apple.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the top off each of your apples and scoop out the inside of the apple. I used a knife and a spoon to hollow out the apple.
2. In a small bowl, mix the apple pie filling with the cinnamon. Spoon the filling into the well of each apple.
3. Unroll one pie crust and cut it into fourths; one for each apple. Then cut each quarter into 1/4-inch strips. Lay strips of the dough on top of the apple. Then take one new strip at a time and alternate weaving it over and under the pie strips already in place. Repeat until the top of the apple has been covered. Trim excess pie crust around the edges with a knife.
4. Place apples in a baking dish and fill with 1/4-inch of water. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust if golden brown. Remove from baking dish and enjoy.
Space Cowboy Kitchen BONUS
Apple Pie Punch
Still more apple.
1. Combine apple cider, pear nectar, and ginger ale. Stir well.
2. Place apple slices inside pitcher.
3. Pour over ice and serve.
OPTIONAL. If you're craving an alcoholic drink, add one shot (1.5 ounces) apple pie flavored vodka to each individual drink, or 1 - 1½ cup to entire pitcher
VARIANT. If you're wanting to serve it warm, heat all of the liquid ingredients in a pot over a stove on low heat. Simmer for a few minutes until warm, place apple slices in the pot, and serve in mugs.
From Solid Cat 100: We're Like Jesus
Flourless Fudge Cookies
For those in desperate need of a gluten-free/dairy-free treat
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment.
2. Stir together all of the ingredients till smooth (for darker, richer-looking cookies, substitute 1/4 cup black cocoa for 1/4 cup of the Dutch-process cocoa). Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and stir again till smooth.
3. Drop the soft, batter-like dough onto the prepared baking sheets in 1 1/2" circles; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.
4. Bake the cookies for 8 minutes; they should spread, become somewhat shiny, and develop faintly crackly tops.
5. Remove the cookies from the oven, and allow them to cool right on the pan. Should yield 16 cookies.
Solid Cat Episodes | Starring... | Paws Up! | Space Cowboy Kitchen | Solid Cat Shop | FAQ | Home